Author Topic: Martini's anyone?  (Read 1372 times)

Offline datuttle

• Regular
  • Feedback Rating: (0)
    • View Profile

• Badges: (View All)
Martini's anyone?
« on: 02/14/2008 03:48 PM »
I can't help but believe that a martini makes for the perfect match with an excellent cigar. Not those flavored cocktail martini's, a real true to Dean Martin himself Gin and a little tiny little bit of vermouth, three olives and no "on the rocks", just chilled. In fact, it's about 60 outside now, I think I'm going to go rate another cigar now. But first, a martini.
Doug

Offline ljlemer

• Guru
  • Feedback Rating: (+14)
    • View Profile

Cigar Geeks Admin CRA Member Cigar Places Poster - Gold Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Gold
RE: Martini's anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 02/14/2008 04:14 PM »
datuttle - 2/14/2008  5:48 PM

I can't help but believe that a martini makes for the perfect match with an excellent cigar. Not those flavored cocktail martini's, a real true to Dean Martin himself Gin and a little tiny little bit of vermouth, three olives and no "on the rocks", just chilled. In fact, it's about 60 outside now, I think I'm going to go rate another cigar now. But first, a martini.
Doug

I like to rotate a pipe and a cigar. Each whets my appetite for the other. After three days of this I need four more to dry out.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

Offline datuttle

• Regular
    • View Profile

« Reply #2 on: 02/14/2008 04:31 PM »
Do you mean a pipe and a cigar at the same time, or are you rotating the pipe? How do you keep the tobacco in?

Offline ljlemer

• Guru
    • View Profile

Cigar Geeks Admin CRA Member Cigar Places Poster - Gold Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Gold
« Reply #3 on: 02/14/2008 07:41 PM »
datuttle - 2/14/2008  6:31 PM

Do you mean a pipe and a cigar at the same time, or are you rotating the pipe? How do you keep the tobacco in?

First one, then the other, although I've smoked them both at the same time too. I call that a threesome. Keep the tobacco in my pipe? By holding it upright.

Thomas Mann

Offline FNA

• Extreme Veteran
    • View Profile

Cigar Reviewer - Bronze
« Reply #4 on: 02/16/2008 11:16 AM »
Thanks for illustrating that there are still some folks for understand that Martinis are made with gin; only vodka Martinis are made with vodka.

I've ordered Martinis in bars only to be asked, "Would you like Grey Goose or Ketel 1 in that?"  No, I ordered a Martini up - I want gin with that

I will admit to a little Gibsonesque bent now and then.

Although I do enjoy Martinis and a 'gar now and then, it is not because I perceive any special affinity between the two.  It's just that i like them both and don't find that they clash.  For 'matching', I generally prefer barrel/vat-aged liquors with a cigar.
« Last Edit: 02/16/2008 11:20 AM by FNA »

Offline datuttle

• Regular
    • View Profile

« Reply #5 on: 02/17/2008 05:33 AM »
It's just seems more difficult these days to find anyone Who even understands the drink. Thanks for your input. I just like the way that the gin seems to cleanse my palate and allow me to experience more subtle flavours than I would otherwise. I have just discovered however that a well aged dark rum on the rocks will pair quite nicley with a Don Kiki black label maduro.

Offline ljlemer

• Guru
    • View Profile

« Reply #6 on: 02/17/2008 07:58 AM »
datuttle - 2/14/2008  5:48 PM

I can't help but believe that a martini makes for the perfect match with an excellent cigar.

Doug

How are you going to light a cigar with a martini? The perfect match comes in a little box and they give it to you free when you buy a cigar. You could use the martini as lighting fluid, but that could backfire since a martini is over 50% water. Why don't you just drink the dang martini while smoking your cigar?
They sound like a good combination. Why didn't you think of that, smartypants? :crazy:

Thomas Mann

Offline mhuss

• Expert
    • View Profile

Cigar Places Poster - Gold Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Silver
« Reply #7 on: 02/17/2008 08:10 AM »
datuttle - 2/17/2008  7:33 AM
I have just discovered however that a well aged dark rum on the rocks will pair quite nicley with a Don Kiki black label maduro.

In my opinion, it's difficult to find something that won't go well with a fine rum, including and especially cigars.

Offline Duker511

• Expert
    • View Profile

Cigar DB Posts - Silver Cigar Reviewer - Silver
« Reply #8 on: 02/17/2008 11:22 AM »
After smoking cigars on and off for a couple of years,a new "trendy" bar opened in my mostly blue collar town. They had a humidor on the bar with some $6-$20 sticks.So just as they had predicted,we began to smoke every time we drank there. The bartender drank and smoked cigars for years,and showed us what he thought went together well.After a couple of months of drinking martinis,different gin drinks, and a whole lot of rum,most of us(my friends and I)went back to beer.So,long story even longer,I do understand peoples love of liquor and cigars,but for me there is nothing like a stoggie and a Guiness.
Tim

Offline mhuss

• Expert
    • View Profile

« Reply #9 on: 02/17/2008 03:10 PM »
Duker511 - 2/17/2008  1:22 PM
but for me there is nothing like a stoggie and a Guiness.

Guinness has a pretty heavy flavor to it.  Not a heavy body, but heavy flavors.  Doesn't that get in the way of the flavors of the cigar?

Offline ljlemer

• Guru
    • View Profile

« Reply #10 on: 02/17/2008 03:20 PM »
mhuss - 2/17/2008  5:10 PM

Guinness has a pretty heavy flavor to it.  Not a heavy body, but heavy flavors.  Doesn't that get in the way of the flavors of the cigar?

What food flavors interfere?

Thomas Mann

Offline datuttle

• Regular
    • View Profile

« Reply #11 on: 02/17/2008 05:35 PM »
Good point Larry. In essence what you must do first is preheat the gin in the microwave. Once it's reached about 100 degrees you pour it into the glass slowly. Then, with a swirling motion, you spin the martini in the glass untill you begin to feel the heat caused from the friction of the spinning martini. Watch closley at this point for any smoke emminating from the martini. (if it begins to smoke you have impurities in the glass. Disguard this drink and try another.) Now, get your cigar ready and hold it next to the martini while still swirling it in the glass. When the gin finally does flash, (this may take some time) immediatley hold your cigar of choice to the flames and light. Once your cigar is lite, pour ice into the flaming martini slowley being prudent not to spill any burning gin onto your lap. (trust me on this one). Now sit back and enjoy your cigar and martini. :lmao:

Offline Turboknat

• Elite Veteran
    • View Profile

Cigar Places Poster - Silver Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Silver
« Reply #12 on: 02/17/2008 07:38 PM »
datuttle - 2/17/2008  7:35 PM

Good point Larry. In essence what you must do first is preheat the gin in the microwave. Once it's reached about 100 degrees you pour it into the glass slowly. Then, with a swirling motion, you spin the martini in the glass untill you begin to feel the heat caused from the friction of the spinning martini. Watch closley at this point for any smoke emminating from the martini. (if it begins to smoke you have impurities in the glass. Disguard this drink and try another.) Now, get your cigar ready and hold it next to the martini while still swirling it in the glass. When the gin finally does flash, (this may take some time) immediatley hold your cigar of choice to the flames and light. Once your cigar is lite, pour ice into the flaming martini slowley being prudent not to spill any burning gin onto your lap. (trust me on this one). Now sit back and enjoy your cigar and martini. :lmao:

I knew it, I just knew he would actually have an answer to this question.  And the answer has evaded me all of this time!   :hitme:   But, as I am out of gin at the moment, I will just settle on my regular lighter for now.   :smoker:

Offline ljlemer

• Guru
    • View Profile

« Reply #13 on: 02/17/2008 07:46 PM »
datuttle - 2/17/2008  7:35 PM

I don't drink, but I'm glad you worked out a solution.

Thomas Mann

Offline mhuss

• Expert
    • View Profile

« Reply #14 on: 02/17/2008 09:19 PM »
ljlemer - 2/17/2008  5:20 PM

mhuss - 2/17/2008  5:10 PM

What food flavors interfere?

I'm not sure what you're asking, Larry.  Are you asking me if any food flavors interfere with a Guinness?  Or am I way off base here?