Author Topic: Cuban Cigars...Who Knew?  (Read 155 times)

Offline junglepete

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Feedback Rating: (+57)
    • View Profile

• Badges: (View All)
    Cigar Geeks Admin CRA Member Bomber - Bronze Cigar Photos Poster - Bronze Cigar Places Poster - Silver Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Gold Trader - Gold Troops Supporter
Cuban Cigars...Who Knew?
« on: 08/11/2014 06:38 PM »
Fumigation & Conditioning

Before packing, the cigars are fumigated with Phosphine (Phosphorus Hydride) to control the tobacco beetle Serricorne, and then conditioned in bundles in cedar lined cabinets, to reduce and stabilise their moisture.  These cabinets are maintained between 16C - 18C and 65% - 70% RH.

Freezing

In addition to fumigation, freezing of the finished cigars is used to kill the tobacco beetle Lasioderma serricorne.

Freezing of cigars commenced around early 2005.  It is carried out in the Habanos main temperature and humidity controlled storage and distribution building.  This, combined with fumigation, is intended to kill all eggs, insects, and lava within the tobacco.

Some regional distributors had their own freezing facilities, predating the Habanos plant.

and then: http://ca.askmen.com/fine_living/wine_dine_archive_400/473_cuban-cigars.html
Guru of Frugality

Offline Mautrak

• Elite Veteran
  • Feedback Rating: (+27)
    • View Profile

CRA Member Bomber - Bronze Cigar Places Poster - Bronze Cigar Reviewer - Bronze Trader - Bronze Troops Supporter
Re: Cuban Cigars...Who Knew?
« Reply #1 on: 08/11/2014 06:47 PM »
I did not know that.

Though, sometimes the smell of my teenage son makes me think he needs fumigation.  Though I suspect putting him in the freezer wouldn't work.  He'd just eat his way out!

Offline Caveman Steve

• Extreme Veteran
  • Feedback Rating: (+13)
    • View Profile

CRA Member
« Reply #2 on: 08/11/2014 06:53 PM »

Mautrak - 8/11/2014  10:47 PM  I did not know that.  Though, sometimes the smell of my teenage son makes me think he needs fumigation.  Though I suspect putting him in the freezer wouldn't work.  He'd just eat his way out!

X2 LOL 

Offline pferg

• Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+6)
    • View Profile

Trader - Bronze
« Reply #3 on: 08/11/2014 07:34 PM »
thats good to know as my parents just brought me back a few cubans and i was a little worried about beetles

Offline 1sgjeffward

• Elite Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+148)
    • View Profile

CRA Member Bomber - Bronze Cigar Photos Poster - Silver Cigar Places Poster - Bronze Cigar DB Posts - Bronze Cigar Reviewer - Silver Trader - Gold
« Reply #4 on: 08/11/2014 11:48 PM »
Good info
Jeff

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

http://cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=1sgjeffward