Author Topic: School Supplies  (Read 414 times)

Offline 05Venturer

• Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+43)
    • View Profile

• Badges: (View All)
    CRA Member Bomber - Bronze Trader - Bronze
Re: School Supplies
« Reply #15 on: 08/11/2014 05:42 PM »
Newbhunter - 8/11/2014  12:05 PM

I'm sure this would be hillarious with the pics!!! ;-)

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:
Kent
 Meat Raffler Extraordinaire

We can't reach old age by another man's road.
My habits protect my life, but they would assassinate you.

The Brave don't live Forever, The Cautious don't live at all

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=05Venturer

Offline akira

• Elite Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+47)
    • View Profile

• Badges: (View All)
    CRA Member Bomber - Bronze Cigar Places Poster - Gold Cigar DB Posts - Silver Cigar Reviewer - Silver Trader - Silver Troops Supporter
Re: School Supplies
« Reply #16 on: 08/11/2014 10:06 PM »
My daughter hasn't started real school yet but we've been buying school supplies for a backpack drive that provides students with the supplies that their families or foster parents can't afford for them.  While I agree that people shouldn't have kids they can't afford, I also know that there are tons of kids out there that didn't really have a choice in who they were born to and also parents that may have fallen on hard times.   A first grader should not have to start his education at a disadvantage because of a choice he had no part in.  

Starting school without the necessary supplies puts these kids at a huge disadvantage.  Kids who don't have the basics have more difficulty buying into school from the beginning, feeling ashamed or less than their peers who come to school with shiny new backpacks filled with the necessary materials.  While many teachers have supplies in their classrooms and are more than happy to provide those to students, many students feel shame and stigma in always needing those supplies from the teacher. [Plus, this money is coming out of the teachers' pockets, which is a hardship for teachers if they have several students who are in need]  

The way I see it, the more we can do to help keep kids in school with some hope of future success the better off we will all be.  If you don't want to help, that's fine.  But there is a lot to consider before writing it off entirely.
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.'" -Jack Handy