Author Topic: Beer styles and cigars  (Read 214 times)

Offline hebron

• Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+19)
    • View Profile

• Badges: (View All)
    Bomber - Bronze Cigar Photos Poster - Silver Cigar Places Poster - Silver Cigar DB Posts - Bronze Trader - Bronze
Beer styles and cigars
« on: 06/16/2014 11:59 PM »
BigHop post about beer pairing got me thinking. I really enjoy Pale Ale, and have found that is goes extremely well (IMHO) with a medium cigar. Pilsner works with mild cigars, and my guess is that stout should work for a full cigar, although I haven't tried this combo yet.

If you have any personal experiences, please share them; I'm always looking for experiments involving two of my favorites things; beer and cigars  :beer:  :cigarman:
- Thomas

Offline BewareDaPenguin

• Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+68)
    • View Profile

CRA Member Bomber - Bronze Cigar Photos Poster - Bronze Cigar DB Posts - Bronze Cigar Reviewer - Bronze Trader - Gold
Re: Beer styles and cigars
« Reply #1 on: 06/17/2014 03:32 AM »
I prefer Whisky, bourbon, scotch etc. but I'm sure you will get some good suggestions :-) sounds like you are going to need to experiment with some samples :biggrin:
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

Offline scottvodka

• Extreme Veteran
  • Feedback Rating: (+2)
    • View Profile

« Reply #2 on: 06/17/2014 05:03 AM »
I like a fuller flavored cigar with my pale ales, but I often drink ipas on the hop-forward side of even ipa. A nice session beer goes nicely with any kind of stick, to me at least.

Offline 05Venturer

• Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+43)
    • View Profile

CRA Member Bomber - Bronze Trader - Bronze
« Reply #3 on: 06/17/2014 05:16 AM »
Full Bodied Maduro & PBR  :dancing:

:beer:  :beer:  :cheers:  :smoker:  :smoker:
« Last Edit: 06/17/2014 05:16 AM by 05Venturer »
Kent
 Meat Raffler Extraordinaire

We can't reach old age by another man's road.
My habits protect my life, but they would assassinate you.

The Brave don't live Forever, The Cautious don't live at all

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=05Venturer

Offline StogieDad

• Extreme Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+130)
    • View Profile

CRA Member Bomber - Silver Cigar Photos Poster - Silver Cigar Places Poster - Gold Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Gold Trader - Gold Troops Supporter
« Reply #4 on: 06/17/2014 05:22 AM »
I really enjoy the craft beer scene, and I can enjoy just about any beer with a smoke, except a REALLY hoppy IPA.  Tends to mess with my palate, and I can taste much of the cigar.  I love a porter with a stronger cigar, but this time of year some of the refreshing summer brews can really help cleanse the palate.  Nothing better than the back porch, a cold beer, and a smoke grilling up some steaks.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf n turf. Its a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Offline ntanner

• Elite Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+18)
    • View Profile

Cigar Photos Poster - Silver Cigar Places Poster - Gold Cigar DB Posts - Bronze Cigar Reviewer - Gold Trader - Bronze Troops Supporter
« Reply #5 on: 06/17/2014 06:15 AM »
A nice extra special bitters is good in the afternoon with almost anything as it does leave the pallet fairly clean. A nice Irish Red or a Steam beer is a good accompaniment to a good medium to full smoke but they are a little bolder and the cigar and smoke play off each other nicely. I find that with something that is very hop forward or extremely malty they tend to dominate the pallet and if I smoke then I usually smoke something to accent the complexities in the beer. Started brewing when I got out of the navy back in 92 and have tried almost every thing imaginable with a cigar. A sour and a cigar is not for me but some around here like those too. I think it's is quite like cigars in that respect. Every body likes what they like so the best advice is probably just go out and try as many different varieties as you can of both cigars and beer and see what works best for you. My personal favorite is a Black IPA with a Camacho RM101, MMMM.
I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me..

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Offline StogieDad

• Extreme Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+130)
    • View Profile

CRA Member Bomber - Silver Cigar Photos Poster - Silver Cigar Places Poster - Gold Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Gold Trader - Gold Troops Supporter
« Reply #6 on: 06/17/2014 06:19 AM »
I make sure not to fight through a pairing as well.  If it is not working, throw the beer back in the fridge and finish it later, and get something else to drink.  Don't mind wasting a bit on a bad pairing, but if it doesn't work, just scrap it.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf n turf. Its a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Offline frankj1

• Feedback Rating: (0)
    • View Profile

« Reply #7 on: 06/18/2014 07:13 PM »
I love maltier brews with maddies.