Poll

What types of cigar cuts you do you use?

Straight cut

Author Topic: What types of cigar cuts you do you use?  (Read 1049 times)

Offline hebron

• Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+19)
    • View Profile

• Badges: (View All)
    Bomber - Bronze Cigar Photos Poster - Silver Cigar Places Poster - Silver Cigar DB Posts - Bronze Trader - Bronze
What types of cigar cuts you do you use?
« on: 06/09/2014 12:51 PM »
I'm curious, what cuts do you guys use? Feel free to elaborate on the advantage of the different cuts.

I've never tried the v cut or shuriken cutter (which just looks weird), I did use the punch on my cigar lighter for a while but now I'm all about the straight cut.
- Thomas

Offline StogieDad

• Extreme Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+130)
    • View Profile

CRA Member Bomber - Silver Cigar Photos Poster - Silver Cigar Places Poster - Gold Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Gold Trader - Gold Troops Supporter
Re: What types of cigar cuts you do you use?
« Reply #1 on: 06/09/2014 12:55 PM »
OOOOOOOOHHHHH NOOOOOOOO that Shuriken is going to start passing around here again.....

Usually straight, but I will V when I feel like it, and I keep a punch on my keychain, so if i am out and have that or my lighter has one, I will use that.  I am really not that particular.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf n turf. Its a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Offline hebron

• Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+19)
    • View Profile

Bomber - Bronze Cigar Photos Poster - Silver Cigar Places Poster - Silver Cigar DB Posts - Bronze Trader - Bronze
« Reply #2 on: 06/09/2014 01:00 PM »
StogieDad - 6/9/2014  10:55 PM

OOOOOOOOHHHHH NOOOOOOOO that Shuriken is going to start passing around here again.....

Usually straight, but I will V when I feel like it, and I keep a punch on my keychain, so if i am out and have that or my lighter has one, I will use that.  I am really not that particular.

I've purchased a keychain punch cutter for the same purpose :-) Always prepared ;-)
- Thomas

Offline nirab

• Guru
  • Feedback Rating: (+135)
    • View Profile

CRA Member Bomber - Silver Cigar DB Posts - Bronze Cigar Reviewer - Silver Trader - Gold Troops Supporter
« Reply #3 on: 06/09/2014 01:01 PM »
V cut for me about 95% of the time. Occasional straight cut, and very seldom a punch. For me, the v cut works great, keeps tobacco bits out of the mouth, and it looks really really cool!  :biggrin:  :bigthumbs:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

don't BELIEVE everything YOU think...
YOU choose WHO you WANT to BE...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Jackal

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Guru
  • Feedback Rating: (+174)
    • View Profile

Cigar Geeks Admin CRA Member Bomber - Silver Cigar Pass Moderator - Gold Cigar Photos Poster - Gold Cigar Places Poster - Bronze Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Gold Trader - Gold Troops Supporter
« Reply #4 on: 06/09/2014 01:03 PM »
I am a fan of the cat's eye (V-cut), but more often than not, I use a straight double guillotine cut.  I find the air flow though hole punches to be too variable, lending to bad burn lines.
What a master cigar maker creates is truly a work of art.
The Government has no business regulating art.

Offline scottvodka

• Extreme Veteran
  • Feedback Rating: (+2)
    • View Profile

« Reply #5 on: 06/09/2014 01:14 PM »
I just recently started using a punch, and I like it a lot. I especially like that it's on my lighter, so I don't have to carry around two instruments. If something goes wrong with it or the cigar doesn't have a rounded cap then i'll get out my guillotine

Offline Kevin48438

• Veteran
  • Feedback Rating: (+7)
    • View Profile

CRA Member
« Reply #6 on: 06/09/2014 01:17 PM »
Restricting the airflow through a cigar can cause tar to build up toward the head end and cause bitterness in the last half of a smoke, if not sooner.  For that reason, i go straight cut leaving a bit of the shoulder.   The goal is to expose about 80-90% of the filler and leave enough cap to keep the wrapper from unraveling.  A good quality, sharp cutter is needed for this.   I love my Paleo cutter, but Xikar or some quality scissors will work fine too.  Other methods work in a pinch or even with a lot of cigars, but there will come a time when the method will have changed the performance or taste in a negative way.  

The blenders/owners at every company use a straight cut.   I know of zero exceptions.  My eventual goal is to recreate the experience the blender intended as much as possible.   With a high quality cutter and proper technique, whatever problem that silly Shuriken cutter solves isn't a problem.  I've tried it.   Some cigars it was ok, some it limited the draw too much.

Friends don't let friends use silly Shuriken cutters.
"I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

"There are two things worth living for, one is a good cigar, the other is a better one." - Unknown

Offline scottvodka

• Extreme Veteran
  • Feedback Rating: (+2)
    • View Profile

« Reply #7 on: 06/09/2014 01:19 PM »
Kevin48438 - 6/9/2014  5:17 PM

Restricting the airflow through a cigar can cause tar to build up toward the head end and cause bitterness in the last half of a smoke, if not sooner.  For that reason, i go straight cut leaving a bit of the shoulder.   The goal is to expose about 80-90% of the filler and leave enough cap to keep the wrapper from unraveling.  A good quality, sharp cutter is needed for this.   I love my Paleo cutter, but Xikar or some quality scissors will work fine too.  Other methods work in a pinch or even with a lot of cigars, but there will come a time when the method will have changed the performance or taste in a negative way.  

The blenders/owners at every company use a straight cut.   I know of zero exceptions.  My eventual goal is to recreate the experience the blender intended as much as possible.   With a high quality cutter and proper technique, whatever problem that silly Shuriken cutter solves isn't a problem.  I've tried it.   Some cigars it was ok, some it limited the draw too much.

Friends don't let friends use silly Shuriken cutters.

/soapbox
/highhorse

Offline ntanner

• Elite Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+18)
    • View Profile

Cigar Photos Poster - Silver Cigar Places Poster - Gold Cigar DB Posts - Bronze Cigar Reviewer - Gold Trader - Bronze Troops Supporter
« Reply #8 on: 06/09/2014 01:26 PM »
95% of the time a strait cut and the other 5 a V or a punch.
I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me..

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kevin48438

• Veteran
    • View Profile

CRA Member
« Reply #9 on: 06/09/2014 01:27 PM »
scottvodka - 6/9/2014  5:19 PM
Kevin48438 - 6/9/2014  5:17 PMRestricting the airflow through a cigar can cause tar to build up toward the head end and cause bitterness in the last half of a smoke, if not sooner.  For that reason, i go straight cut leaving a bit of the shoulder.   The goal is to expose about 80-90% of the filler and leave enough cap to keep the wrapper from unraveling.  A good quality, sharp cutter is needed for this.   I love my Paleo cutter, but Xikar or some quality scissors will work fine too.  Other methods work in a pinch or even with a lot of cigars, but there will come a time when the method will have changed the performance or taste in a negative way.  The blenders/owners at every company use a straight cut.   I know of zero exceptions.  My eventual goal is to recreate the experience the blender intended as much as possible.   With a high quality cutter and proper technique, whatever problem that silly Shuriken cutter solves isn't a problem.  I've tried it.   Some cigars it was ok, some it limited the draw too much.Friends don't let friends use silly Shuriken cutters.
/soapbox/highhorse
Haha!   I thought you had to use a straight cut to qualify as a geek.  Maybe a punch on a keychain (or lighter) in a pinch of for some giant ring guage cigar.  When I started my essay, only Michael had responded.  And I wanted to spare some grief by someone unawares of that Shuriken cutter.

"There are two things worth living for, one is a good cigar, the other is a better one." - Unknown

Offline toby2

• Guru
  • Feedback Rating: (+57)
    • View Profile

CRA Member Bomber - Bronze Cigar Photos Poster - Bronze Cigar Places Poster - Bronze Cigar DB Posts - Bronze Cigar Reviewer - Bronze Trader - Silver Troops Supporter
RE: What types of cigar cuts you do you use?
« Reply #10 on: 06/09/2014 01:29 PM »

I like the scalloped cut this one leaves. I use it at home straight cut or punch on the road. 

"We can't reach old age by another man's road. My habits protect my life, but they would assassinate you."
-Mark Twain

"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline Kevin48438

• Veteran
    • View Profile

CRA Member
« Reply #11 on: 06/09/2014 01:34 PM »
Those things look really cool, but I'm always afraid of the lack of control.  Any advice on using it?

Offline Smurf

• Elite Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+46)
    • View Profile

CRA Member Bomber - Silver Cigar Photos Poster - Bronze Cigar Places Poster - Bronze Cigar Reviewer - Bronze Trader - Bronze Troops Supporter
« Reply #12 on: 06/09/2014 01:35 PM »
I'm back to the V cut now
orbis non sufficit

Offline Camshaft83

• Extreme Veteran
  • Feedback Rating: (+8)
    • View Profile

Cigar Photos Poster - Bronze Cigar Places Poster - Bronze Cigar DB Posts - Bronze Cigar Reviewer - Bronze
« Reply #13 on: 06/09/2014 01:37 PM »
I use a punch mostly. I find that a cigar with a loose draw is great for me with a punch. Also if it is a little tight or a big ring cigar i can punch it again(clover leaf). But I do use a straight cut on torpedos, perfectos, very small ring cigars, etc.. I like having the punch built into my favorite lighter as well.
I know a man who gave up smoking (cigars), drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself." - Johnny Carson

Offline DonM

• Extreme Guru
  • Feedback Rating: (+34)
    • View Profile

CRA Member Bomber - Bronze Cigar Places Poster - Gold Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Gold Trader - Bronze Troops Supporter
« Reply #14 on: 06/09/2014 01:42 PM »
I use a Palio most of the time followed by a Xikar V cut. I like the V don't know why I do not use it more. The Palio is a nice cutter, if something happened to it I would get another

Just because you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town  - George Carlin