Author Topic: Scotch Drinkers in the House??  (Read 847 times)

Offline Jackal

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Guru
  • Feedback Rating: (+174)
    • View Profile

• Badges: (View All)
    Cigar Geeks Admin CRA Member Bomber - Silver Cigar Pass Moderator - Gold Cigar Photos Poster - Gold Cigar Places Poster - Bronze Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Gold Trader - Gold Troops Supporter
Re: Scotch Drinkers in the House??
« Reply #15 on: 04/09/2014 06:40 AM »
Try the Glenlivet 15 year old.  It is aged in French Limousin casks which give it a much smoother and less peat/ smokey flavor.  That may match up more to what you are used to as a Bourbon drinker.
What a master cigar maker creates is truly a work of art.
The Government has no business regulating art.

Offline junglepete

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Feedback Rating: (+57)
    • View Profile

Cigar Geeks Admin CRA Member Bomber - Bronze Cigar Photos Poster - Bronze Cigar Places Poster - Silver Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Gold Trader - Gold Troops Supporter
« Reply #16 on: 04/09/2014 07:33 AM »
The Balvenie
The Macallan 12 yr

Dimple Pinch as a good priced nice tasting blended scotch
Guru of Frugality

Offline tvolball

• Elite Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+56)
    • View Profile

CRA Member Bomber - Bronze Cigar Photos Poster - Bronze Cigar Places Poster - Bronze Cigar DB Posts - Bronze Cigar Reviewer - Silver Trader - Silver Troops Supporter
RE: Scotch Drinkers in the House??
« Reply #17 on: 04/09/2014 08:44 AM »
My local B&M, Burns has two locations. The Burns downtown also owns Chattanooga Billiard Club which is in the same building and they have an extensive collection of scotch's. I have thought about just going by every now and then and having a cigar and trying a different glass of scotch just to get a broad sampling without having to by the whole bottle to find if I like it. I totally agree with comment about scotch being expensive. The Macallan 12 year I bought was just under $60 a bottle. They had some that was well over $500 a bottle and a couple that were over $1000.
« Last Edit: 04/09/2014 08:45 AM by tvolball »
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Offline Otter

• Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+26)
    • View Profile

CRA Member Cigar DB Posts - Bronze Cigar Reviewer - Bronze Trader - Bronze Troops Supporter
« Reply #18 on: 04/09/2014 02:45 PM »
Mojo66 - 4/9/2014  9:48 AM

tvolball - 4/9/2014  10:19 AM  I have recently tried Scotch myself. I started with Macallan 12 year old scotch. Its really pretty good. I've tried it straight up and on the rocks. I like it better chilled. I also saw a post I believe Jay(otter) made that said I should try it straight up but add a table spoon of water to it. I have not done that yet. I have also heard that Balvenie Doublewood is very good. It will be my next bottle I try.

I always add some DW to my Scotch, sometime up to 30%. Used to drink it straight up but a Scottish friend of mine told me to try it with water (I use DW cause it's tasteless) and I've never looked back since. Makes the aromas develop and I feel you can taste much more of the subtleties... but it's a personal thing.

It dilutes it just enough to take the bite of the alcohol away from your tongue and lets you taste those flavors... great advice!
R, Otter

------------------------------------------------------
Brand Ambassador at Fratello Cigars
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
http://www.facebook.com/geekcoefficient

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

"A cigar ought not to be smoked solely with the mouth, but with the hand, the eyes, and with the spirit."
- Zino Davidoff

Offline Longhorn

• Extreme Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+127)
    • View Profile

CRA Member Bomber - Silver Cigar Places Poster - Bronze Cigar DB Posts - Bronze Trader - Gold Troops Supporter
« Reply #19 on: 04/09/2014 05:08 PM »
Some great advice here. I'd suggest trying an Islay, but would steer clear of the Laphroig at first (very peaty - almost medicinal taste).  Lagavulin and Ardbeg make some very nice whiskies and have a few bottlings that are finished in ex-wine and sherry casks imparting a sweetness into the spirit.  Islay's pair nicely with cigars - especially bolder ones.  Explore and enjoy!
"Yeah, I pretty much never sit by the pool anymore." - Marco Polo

Offline 05Venturer

• Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+43)
    • View Profile

CRA Member Bomber - Bronze Trader - Bronze
« Reply #20 on: 04/09/2014 05:15 PM »
Thanks everyone, all those suggestions should help :bigthumbs:

And keep me broke  :lmao:
Kent
 Meat Raffler Extraordinaire

We can't reach old age by another man's road.
My habits protect my life, but they would assassinate you.

The Brave don't live Forever, The Cautious don't live at all

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=05Venturer

Offline Michaelbevans61

• Extreme Veteran
  • Feedback Rating: (+3)
    • View Profile

« Reply #21 on: 04/09/2014 06:41 PM »
I love the stuff! My favorite ( and the best ive ever had) was called o hara it was a 30 year old bottle and it was 130$ but by far the best ive ever had 
Rock and roll is no genre, rock and roll? .......my friends rock and roll is a way of life!
Brent Smith, Shinedown

Offline timpellis

• Veteran
  • Feedback Rating: (+3)
    • View Profile

Cigar Places Poster - Bronze
« Reply #22 on: 05/08/2014 02:46 PM »
If you like peat, Ardberg Udigail is the way to go.  I current acquired a bottle of Macallan 18 and realized I need to get a better paying job.  Last year I attended the Single Malt Scotch Society's big event in Philly.  Well worth the money (150/ticket).  I was able to taste several bottles the retail over 2,500 bucks.  I will never try them again I am sure, just awesome.