Author Topic: Tupperdor container: Does it have to have a rubber seal?  (Read 574 times)

Offline hebron

• Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+19)
    • View Profile

• Badges: (View All)
    Bomber - Bronze Cigar Photos Poster - Silver Cigar Places Poster - Silver Cigar DB Posts - Bronze Trader - Bronze
I've been looking for airtight tupperware boxes with rubber seals for some time now, and the largest I have been able to get my hands on is 1 gallon. This works great for singles, but is just to small for boxes (pictures). I have been looking for Rubbermaid online and on eBay, and it seems that I am able to get them shipped here but the shipping cost is almost $50...

But, I have found multiple shops that sells a type without a rubber seal. Will this work? The clips does shut the lid pretty tight, but I'm sure it's not 100% airtight. These are both cheap and easy to get, but can I use them as tupperdors?

I think coolers are easier to get, but I really like the ability to stack the plastic boxes.
- Thomas

Offline Ken Kelley

• Elite Guru
  • Feedback Rating: (+43)
    • View Profile

CRA Member Cigar Places Poster - Bronze Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Silver Trader - Bronze
No need to worry about a container that doesn't have a rubber seal and isn't totally airtight. I have had great success with Rubber Maid products from Walmart. They have a tight fitting plastic lid and keep humidity levels within acceptable limits & have done so for the past several years. I use the cake box size which can easily hold 50 or so cigars, depending on size. I use either Heartfelt Humidity beads in a nylon stocking wrapper or a plastic box with kitty litter to maintain humidity levels and haven't had any problems at all. I also toss in a few Spanish cedar planks left over from my humidor construction efforts and the odd cedar pieces from cigar boxes just to add to the humidity buffering efforts.
« Last Edit: 04/05/2014 12:32 PM by Ken Kelley »
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

Offline 05Venturer

• Expert
    • View Profile

CRA Member Bomber - Bronze Trader - Bronze
I personally think anything without an airtight seal is gonna cause issues.
If I have time at work tonight I will try to find the Ziplock container that both myself and Brian have, and post a link if possible.
Kent
 Meat Raffler Extraordinaire

We can't reach old age by another man's road.
My habits protect my life, but they would assassinate you.

The Brave don't live Forever, The Cautious don't live at all

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=05Venturer

Offline Ken Kelley

• Elite Guru
    • View Profile

CRA Member Cigar Places Poster - Bronze Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Silver Trader - Bronze
05Venturer - 4/5/2014  4:34 AM

If I have time at work tonight I will try to find the Ziplock container that both myself and Brian have, and post a link if possible.

Yup! And even the RubberMaid containers need to be opened every week or so to insure some air exchange...otherwise you're flirting with mold. Also helps a bit to keep cigars without cello wrappers from direct contact with the plastic or there is a possibility of condensation building up. I rotate my sticks in those containers about every month...bottom to top. Usually I take care of this chore while rooting through them to find what I want to smoke!  :biggrin:

Offline 05Venturer

• Expert
    • View Profile

Ken Kelley - 4/5/2014  3:47 PM

Yup! And even the RubberMaid containers need to be opened every week or so to insure some air exchange...otherwise you're flirting with mold. Also helps a bit to keep cigars without cello wrappers from direct contact with the plastic or there is a possibility of condensation building up. I rotate my sticks in those containers about every month...bottom to top. Usually I take care of this chore while rooting through them to find what I want to smoke!  :biggrin:

:confused:  :confused:  :confused:
Kent

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=05Venturer

Offline 05Venturer

• Expert
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: 04/05/2014 01:22 PM by 05Venturer »
Kent

Offline StogieDad

• Extreme Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+130)
    • View Profile

CRA Member Bomber - Silver Cigar Photos Poster - Silver Cigar Places Poster - Gold Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Gold Trader - Gold Troops Supporter
I bought 2 large Rubbermaid Brutes from Lowes.  There is no rubber seal, but you can feel the seal when it slips over the edge.  Been extremely happy with these so far.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf n turf. Its a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Offline Cigary

• Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+6)
    • View Profile

Cigar Reviewer - Silver
Tupperadors.....there are all kinds and when it comes to a good seal you will want something that gives you a good seal because otherwise you will deal with RH issues if you don't buy a good unit.  I have 2 very large containers that don't have a seal and I have to work a bit more to keep my RH where I want it...not that it's a hassle as I only spritz it once a month to keep it at 67%.  The RubberMaids that do have a seal I only deal with them maybe once every 4 months so that makes it a bit more efficient plus I pop the top of it for a good air exchange once a week.

Offline tvolball

• Elite Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+56)
    • View Profile

CRA Member Bomber - Bronze Cigar Photos Poster - Bronze Cigar Places Poster - Bronze Cigar DB Posts - Bronze Cigar Reviewer - Silver Trader - Silver Troops Supporter
I use the ones with rubber seals but I find you need to open them at least once and week for fresh air exchange
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Offline hebron

• Expert
    • View Profile

Bomber - Bronze Cigar Photos Poster - Silver Cigar Places Poster - Silver Cigar DB Posts - Bronze Trader - Bronze
Ken Kelley - 4/5/2014  10:47 PM

Wait... I am confused. Do you think I don't need to worry about the rubber seal and not being totally airtight? Or are you agreeing with Kent that this is going to cause issues?  :confused:
- Thomas

Offline hebron

• Expert
    • View Profile

05Venturer - 4/5/2014  11:20 PM

Here is one that looks damn near identical to mine

http://www.amazon.com/Iris-Water-Tight-Storage-Quart/dp/B003OXNISG

http://www.irisusainc.com/p-618-ucb-sd.aspx

That looks great. Problem is Amazon won't ship them to Norway and the only retail partner that we have in Norway (Staples) doesn't carry them.

I think I have to keep looking for something like Michael describes... Might buy one without a seal just to do some tests on it.
- Thomas

Offline DonM

• Extreme Guru
  • Feedback Rating: (+34)
    • View Profile

CRA Member Bomber - Bronze Cigar Places Poster - Gold Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Gold Trader - Bronze Troops Supporter
Re: Tupperdor container: Does it have to have a rubber seal?
« Reply #11 on: 04/06/2014 04:16 AM »
If you are using them for long term storage, I personally would seek one with a good seal.  If you are going into it every day or so, you are going to be breaking the seal often anyway so a tight fitting lid should be sufficient

Just because you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town  - George Carlin

Offline Ken Kelley

• Elite Guru
    • View Profile

hebron - 4/5/2014  11:52 AM

Ken Kelley - 4/5/2014  10:47 PM

Wait... I am confused. Do you think I don't need to worry about the rubber seal and not being totally airtight? Or are you agreeing with Kent that this is going to cause issues?  :confused:

It should have a tight fitting lid but it doesn't necessarily have to be hermetically sealed. Even the best wood humidors are not air tight. I would be real nervous about leaving good cigars in an airtight box for extended periods without opening it every so often.

Offline gitfiddl

• Elite Guru
  • Feedback Rating: (+46)
    • View Profile

CRA Member Bomber - Bronze Cigar Places Poster - Bronze Cigar DB Posts - Silver Cigar Reviewer - Gold Trader - Bronze
I've used Glad brand containers like this one for over-flow (several months to a year), used them in passes, etc.  They are cheap and do the job.  And no, the one in the pic isn't holding cigars.  That's last night's jerk chicken.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Offline Ken Kelley

• Elite Guru
    • View Profile

gitfiddl - 4/6/2014  1:46 AM

I've used Glad brand containers like this one for over-flow (several months to a year), used them in passes, etc.  They are cheap and do the job.  And no, the one in the pic isn't holding cigars.  That's last night's jerk chicken.

Ah, you've been jerking the ol' chicken again, eh, Dave? :biggrin: