Author Topic: Tequila and Scotch  (Read 3439 times)

Offline junglepete

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Feedback Rating: (+57)
    • View Profile

• Badges: (View All)
    Cigar Geeks Admin CRA Member Bomber - Bronze Cigar Photos Poster - Bronze Cigar Places Poster - Silver Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Gold Trader - Gold Troops Supporter
RE: Tequila and Scotch
« Reply #45 on: 09/19/2010 06:42 AM »
12 year Glenlivet is good, but I like 18 or 12 year Macallans even better.
Guru of Frugality

Offline metalhead y cigarguy

• Guru
  • Feedback Rating: (+42)
    • View Profile

Bomber - Bronze Cigar Places Poster - Bronze Cigar DB Posts - Silver Cigar Reviewer - Silver Trader - Bronze
« Reply #46 on: 09/21/2010 11:22 AM »
Brlesq - 9/19/2010  5:27 AM

metalhead y cigarguy - 9/19/2010  2:02 AM

Anyone ever hear of Cabrito Tequila? My wife was sent a bottle from one of her business contacts in Mexico a few years back. Being I'm not really a Tequila drinker I have yet to open it. Anyone ever have this brand before? Any comments?

I've seen it on the shelves, but have never tried it.  It is a value-priced Tequila.  However, I do know that it is one of the more popular Tequilas in Mexico.  Tequila doesn't age once it is bottled, so no need to sit on it any longer.  Crack it open and enjoy!

I don't know anyone that drinks Tequila because they enjoy it. Most people I know that drink Tequila drink it to get messed up.
This is an evening with Tequila:  :drinking: :rocker: :singing: :blech: :blahblah: :barfonyou: :angry: :kickyou: :beatup: :snoring:

Offline mountedshriner

• Extreme Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+23)
    • View Profile

Cigar Reviewer - Silver Trader - Bronze
« Reply #47 on: 09/21/2010 11:35 AM »
gitfiddl - 7/11/2010  12:37 PM

I prefer straight bourbon whisky or a good ol' sourmash.  As for tequila, Patron Silver for me.  Two shots, no training wheels!

:word:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Offline mountedshriner

• Extreme Expert
    • View Profile

« Reply #48 on: 09/21/2010 11:38 AM »
cmmayo - 8/15/2010  12:52 PM

I had my first single malt scotch last night: Glenlivet 12 Year Single Malt Scotch.

It was AMAZING. I was at a Shriner's Fund-Raising Gala (my gf does their website in SA) and thought this was the perfect time to try it in case I didn't like it... you know, I didn't want to have a bottle of stuff around I couldn't drink.
O.M.G. That stuff was amazing. I can't wait to have a strong cigar and a big glass of that stuff together.

:dancing:

Very cool Corey!! We Shriners know all about good booze and kick ass fundraisers!  :biggrin:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Offline Brlesq

• Elite Guru
  • Feedback Rating: (+120)
    • View Profile

Bomber - Silver Cigar Places Poster - Gold Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Silver Trader - Gold Troops Supporter
« Reply #49 on: 09/21/2010 12:19 PM »
metalhead y cigarguy - 9/21/2010  1:22 PM
Brlesq - 9/19/2010  5:27 AM
metalhead y cigarguy - 9/19/2010  2:02 AM
Anyone ever hear of Cabrito Tequila? My wife was sent a bottle from one of her business contacts in Mexico a few years back. Being I'm not really a Tequila drinker I have yet to open it. Anyone ever have this brand before? Any comments?

I've seen it on the shelves, but have never tried it.  It is a value-priced Tequila.  However, I do know that it is one of the more popular Tequilas in Mexico.  Tequila doesn't age once it is bottled, so no need to sit on it any longer.  Crack it open and enjoy!

I don't know anyone that drinks Tequila because they enjoy it. Most people I know that drink Tequila drink it to get messed up.

Bryan, you must be drinking the wrong Tequila!  There are some very fine sipping tequilas out there that are so good that I wouldn't even think of using them for shots or polluting them with salt or a lemon.  But, like Scotch, these tend to be a bit pricier and sometimes harder to find.  True, I have never found a "sipping" tequila for less than $40/bottle, but a good bottle will last longer because you're not doing it as shots or using it as a mixer.  

If you decide to spring for it, try an Anejo.  The two that I can personally recommend are: Patron Anejo (about $45) and Casa Noble Anejo 2 Yr (about $60-80).
« Last Edit: 09/21/2010 12:19 PM by Brlesq »
Bruce
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm
[/size]

Hey! How come 'Habana' is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

"Bruce is fast becoming my Cigar Pimp. If this keeps up I'll be drawing up adoption papers for Bruce." ~ Cigary

• Guru
    • View Profile

Bomber - Bronze Cigar Places Poster - Bronze Cigar DB Posts - Silver Cigar Reviewer - Silver Trader - Bronze
« Reply #50 on: 09/23/2010 12:55 AM »
Everyone around her always talks about Patron like it's the greatest thing on earth. I've never had Patron so I can't say if it is or isn't, but it cracks me up about how people think they are living the life by taking shots of Patron.  :confused:

Offline nwb

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Guru
  • Feedback Rating: (+210)
    • View Profile

Cigar Geeks Admin CRA Member Bomber - Silver Cigar Pass Moderator - Bronze Cigar Places Poster - Silver Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Gold Trader - Gold Troops Supporter
« Reply #51 on: 09/23/2010 05:58 AM »
metalhead y cigarguy - 9/23/2010  2:55 AM

Everyone around her always talks about Patron like it's the greatest thing on earth. I've never had Patron so I can't say if it is or isn't, but it cracks me up about how people think they are living the life by taking shots of Patron.  :confused:

Patron has great marketing.  Although I'm not a big fan of tequila and rarely drink it, Patron is very good.
Chief of Shaft
Twitter: @nwbonick

Offline Brlesq

• Elite Guru
  • Feedback Rating: (+120)
    • View Profile

Bomber - Silver Cigar Places Poster - Gold Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Silver Trader - Gold Troops Supporter
« Reply #52 on: 09/23/2010 06:49 AM »
metalhead y cigarguy - 9/23/2010  2:55 AM

I presume your snide remark is not directed at all of us Patron drinkers, since many of us that sip and savor it find it to be an enjoyable, high-end liquor that pairs well with a good cigar, and that is what we are all here to discuss in this particular forum, right?

Anyone "taking shots" of Patron is either inexperienced or immature (or both) and clearly inexperienced with good tequila.  If the shooters think they are 'living the life', then they are just the showoffs and are wasting good liquor, IMHO.
« Last Edit: 09/23/2010 07:05 AM by Brlesq »
Bruce
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm
[/size]

Hey! How come 'Habana' is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

"Bruce is fast becoming my Cigar Pimp. If this keeps up I'll be drawing up adoption papers for Bruce." ~ Cigary

Offline mountedshriner

• Extreme Expert
    • View Profile

« Reply #53 on: 09/23/2010 06:55 AM »
metalhead y cigarguy - 9/22/2010  11:55 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with "living the life by taking shots of Patron."  It is about enjoying a particular brand of liquor and that is what the thread is about. I feel your comment is somewhat condescending and misdirected.

Offline calvarez

• Elite Veteran
  • Feedback Rating: (+5)
    • View Profile

Cigar Places Poster - Bronze Cigar Reviewer - Bronze
« Reply #54 on: 09/23/2010 07:04 AM »
Patron is the most readily-available and easily recognizable great tequila.  Others are better--to some people.  Others are even cheaper and better.  But Patron is still very good, and easily obtained and recognized.

For those who were talking about the flavor of tequila being offensive, if you enjoy Scotch, then you just have to try Dos Lunas Anejo.  People I know who hate tequila love this.
Carlos Alvarez, Peoria, AZ

"I've learned that the taboo subjects -- religion, politics,
philosophy -- can be safely discussed in polite company
when you're holding a fine cigar and a scotch."
  -- Me

Offline Ken Kelley

• Elite Guru
  • Feedback Rating: (+43)
    • View Profile

CRA Member Cigar Places Poster - Bronze Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Silver Trader - Bronze
« Reply #55 on: 09/23/2010 08:13 AM »
One of the food shows had an episode about Mexican food a few nights ago.  There was a segment on how tequila is made.  With the amount of labor involved, there is no mystery about why the premium tequilas cost so much.  It's quite a process, way too lengthy for a succinct description.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

Offline whodeeni

• Elite Veteran
  • Feedback Rating: (+6)
    • View Profile

Cigar Places Poster - Bronze Cigar DB Posts - Bronze Cigar Reviewer - Bronze
« Reply #56 on: 09/23/2010 10:44 AM »
I stopped drinking Patron in 2005. One night I went out to celebrate how things were
going in my business w/ my brother. We started out drinking shots of patron and
chasing them with Corona's 2 shots and 2 corona's later we went to a lounge
across the street....

We continued drinking shots and chasing them w/ corona's until i was about 5 shots
in. I got very aggressive, started feeling on others guys girlfriends, and threatening
this one guy that was hitting on this girl that i'd picked up in the lounge. Now normally
my brother is the rowdy one but it was the other way around this particular night!

After that the only time i've had patron was in a margarita!:biggrin:

On another note i was in NYC last Sept and went to a barbecue. The couple hosting
were Dominican and when it came time for shots they brought out Tres Generations
Anejo. You talk about the smoothest, richest, best tasting tequila i've ever drank!

It's about $50-60/btl you guys should really check it out!
« Last Edit: 09/23/2010 10:45 AM by whodeeni »
If smoking cigars is on the Darkside, I don't ever
want to see the light!!!

• Guru
    • View Profile

« Reply #57 on: 09/24/2010 01:09 AM »
mountedshriner - 9/23/2010  5:55 AM

metalhead y cigarguy - 9/22/2010  11:55 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with "living the life by taking shots of Patron."  It is about enjoying a particular brand of liquor and that is what the thread is about. I feel your comment is somewhat condescending and misdirected.

The comment wasn't directed towards anyone on this forum. It was directed at the douche bags who hang out at the bars and get stupid, and think Patron is the greatest thing ever created. To each there own and all that, but people don't have to be retarded about it. While Patron might be good Tequila, again I don't know, I'm still pretty sure it's not the best so there is no need to try to impress others around you by bragging about how you're taking shots of Patron.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents and a general comment about the idiots in the bars around my local area.