Author Topic: Tequila and Scotch  (Read 3486 times)

Offline akira

• Elite Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+47)
    • View Profile

• Badges: (View All)
    CRA Member Bomber - Bronze Cigar Places Poster - Gold Cigar DB Posts - Silver Cigar Reviewer - Silver Trader - Silver Troops Supporter
Tequila and Scotch
« on: 04/04/2009 07:42 PM »
Does anybody have any ideas of tequilas that would go well with cigars?  How about any tasty scotch?
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.'" -Jack Handy

Offline dphilli2

• Feedback Rating: (0)
    • View Profile

RE: Tequila and Scotch
« Reply #1 on: 04/04/2009 07:46 PM »
I have no idea, but there is a web-site that I know that could help.  The website is called stogieguys.com.  They do spirit and stogie pairing some times, and they have an archive.  Maybe you could find something there.

Offline akira

• Elite Expert
    • View Profile

CRA Member Bomber - Bronze Cigar Places Poster - Gold Cigar DB Posts - Silver Cigar Reviewer - Silver Trader - Silver Troops Supporter
« Reply #2 on: 04/04/2009 07:55 PM »
Great.  Thanks, I'll take a look.
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.'" -Jack Handy

Offline Samhain2000

• Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+1)
    • View Profile

Cigar Places Poster - Gold Cigar DB Posts - Silver Cigar Reviewer - Bronze
« Reply #3 on: 04/04/2009 09:09 PM »
Johnny Walker Scotch on the rocks or with club soda. I like Johnny Walker Black but JW Red will work too.
A cigar is like a gun, you never know when you'll need one.

Offline podman28

• Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+10)
    • View Profile

Cigar Places Poster - Gold Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Gold
« Reply #4 on: 04/05/2009 10:24 AM »
For tequilas to match with cigars, I almost exclusively go with anejos. El Diamante del Cielo Anejo is one that I currently have and enjoy another that comes to mind is Corazon Anejo. They are both very tasty and will stand up to a medium bodies cigar that is not maduro. Scotch is something completely different. I mainly drink single malts but will occasional enjoy a blend. A couple off the top of my head that I have are Bowmore 17 year old, Macallen 18 year old, and a Lagavulin 16 year old. They again pair well with cigars that have a natural or sungrown wrapper. Suntory 18 is a great Japanese alternative to Scotch from Scotland. If I am smoking a maduro or some other dark, heavy cigar I will go to rum or bourbon everytime. For rum try Zaya. It is my favorite drink to pair with a nice maduro cigar. Hope that helps some. :biggrin:

Offline Samhain2000

• Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+1)
    • View Profile

Cigar Places Poster - Gold Cigar DB Posts - Silver Cigar Reviewer - Bronze
« Reply #5 on: 04/05/2009 11:26 AM »
Johnny Walker is a blended scotch.

I found a good single malt called Highlands, it's about 35 a bottle.
« Last Edit: 04/05/2009 11:26 AM by Samhain2000 »
A cigar is like a gun, you never know when you'll need one.

Offline mountedshriner

• Extreme Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+23)
    • View Profile

Cigar Reviewer - Silver Trader - Bronze
« Reply #6 on: 04/05/2009 12:41 PM »
There is one tequila that I really like to sip w/a cigar. It is called Ora Azul/Anejo. Dark, rich and has a very slight sweet taste and oh so very smooooooooooth!!  :drinking:

Dennis
« Last Edit: 04/05/2009 12:42 PM by mountedshriner »
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Offline akira

• Elite Expert
    • View Profile

« Reply #7 on: 04/05/2009 07:25 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  Sounds like its time for me to make a run to BevMo.  Hopefully I can find them.

Offline bslatner

• Veteran
    • View Profile

Cigar DB Posts - Bronze Cigar Reviewer - Bronze
« Reply #8 on: 04/05/2009 11:27 PM »
My day-to-day scotch is Dewars. It's not fancy, but I have yet to find anything it didn't go with. For the "heavy guns", I like Macallan and Glenfiddich for most general purpose smoking, and Lagavulin for ballbuster full bodied cigars.

These days, though, my favorite cigar booze is rum, neat. I like Bacardi Anejo. I have some Haitian (Barbancourt?) rum I also like. And I -- ahem -- receive a bottle of ISOM rum as gift and it is some of the smoothest, nicest sipping rum I've ever had. Goes great with any cigar.

Offline mountedshriner

• Extreme Expert
    • View Profile

« Reply #9 on: 04/06/2009 08:19 AM »
bslatner - 4/5/2009  10:27 PM

These days, though, my favorite cigar booze is rum, neat. I like Bacardi Anejo. I have some Haitian (Barbancourt?) rum I also like. And I -- ahem -- receive a bottle of ISOM rum as gift and it is some of the smoothest, nicest sipping rum I've ever had. Goes great with any cigar.

Bryan, have you ever tried 10 Cane rum? Makes the best Mojitos in the world, hands down. Is great on the rocks as well: http://www.10cane.com/

Dennis
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Offline akira

• Elite Expert
    • View Profile

« Reply #10 on: 04/06/2009 08:50 AM »
I'll have to add 10 cane to my shopping list.  I love a good mojito.

Offline Bob Cordell

• Elite Guru
  • Feedback Rating: (+25)
    • View Profile

Cigar Reviewer - Gold Trader - Bronze
« Reply #11 on: 04/06/2009 09:26 AM »
I wouldnt waste a Swisher on tequila, I'd rather drink a nice 10 year old bottle of Yak piss than tequila!

Blecccchhhh!!!!!!!!

:blech:
" Rabbit vibrators have gotten an overhaul since their own inception"

Offline mountedshriner

• Extreme Expert
    • View Profile

« Reply #12 on: 04/06/2009 09:42 AM »
Yak piss and soda w/a twist of lemon!!! Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm good! :cheers:

Offline calvarez

• Elite Veteran
  • Feedback Rating: (+5)
    • View Profile

Cigar Places Poster - Bronze Cigar Reviewer - Bronze
« Reply #13 on: 11/21/2009 07:15 AM »
Two tequilas I like with cigars are Patron Platinum ($$$) and Dos Lunas (not expensive, and excellent).  The Dos Lunas is one that anyone should try.  For the tequila lover it offers something very different, while my non-tequila-drinking friends find it palatable and smooth.
Carlos Alvarez, Peoria, AZ

"I've learned that the taboo subjects -- religion, politics,
philosophy -- can be safely discussed in polite company
when you're holding a fine cigar and a scotch."
  -- Me

Offline FNA

• Extreme Veteran
    • View Profile

Cigar Reviewer - Bronze
« Reply #14 on: 12/14/2009 08:44 PM »
Screw all these super-premium tequilas that are sucking up all the blue agave and driving the price of cheap mixto tequilas up. And that goes double for 'foodies' who now have on the market sweetener made from the agave.

Tequila blanco, aged six weeks, is the gasoline to run my engine.

Hey, anybody try the Drew Estate Sauza infused cigars?  I couldn't be drunk enough to recommend these.
« Last Edit: 12/14/2009 08:45 PM by FNA »