Author Topic: Dogfish Head Beers  (Read 1265 times)

Offline mhuss

• Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (0)
    • View Profile

• Badges: (View All)
    Cigar Places Poster - Gold Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Silver
Dogfish Head Beers
« on: 08/16/2008 11:18 AM »
I just wanted to throw a little recommendation out there to anyone who likes a great beer with their smokes.  If you haven't tried any offerings from Dogfish Head, you should.  I have to say, first and foremost, that DFH is my absoutle favorite brewery in the US, maybe the world.  I've tried 30 of their beers, and the vast majority of them are outstanding.  But two, in particular, are great with cigars, in my opinion.  For smokes that are really complex in flavor and body, try their Raison D'Etre.  And especially for cigars with maduro wrappers and more cocoa/chocolately flavors, give their Indian Brown Ale a shot.  Those two beers really complement well.  They are mainstays in my house; I usually always have those two beers on hand.  If you live on the East Coast, DFH beers should be pretty easy to get your hands on.  Try them if/when you get the opportunity.

Offline junglepete

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Feedback Rating: (+57)
    • View Profile

Cigar Geeks Admin CRA Member Bomber - Bronze Cigar Photos Poster - Bronze Cigar Places Poster - Silver Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Gold Trader - Gold Troops Supporter
RE: Dogfish Head Beers
« Reply #1 on: 08/16/2008 02:31 PM »
I'll keep that name in mind the next time I am stateside. I like a beer with a smoke now and then and sometimes the combo is just great!

Guru of Frugality

Offline podman28

• Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+10)
    • View Profile

Cigar Places Poster - Gold Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Gold
« Reply #2 on: 08/16/2008 02:46 PM »
I have heard about them but not tried as of yet. In Chicago there are many craft brewers around. I like to homebrew on occasion as well. But the more well know craft brewers around here are 3 Floyds and Goose Island. Both make quality brews but 3 Floyds might be a bit more high-end in the realm of Dogfish Head.

Offline macster

• Regular
    • View Profile

Cigar Reviewer - Bronze
« Reply #3 on: 08/16/2008 09:31 PM »
Indeed DFH is a great brewery with some tremendous beers.

Their 120 Minute IPA and their Worldwide Stout, although pricey, go great with a big, dark maduro cigar.

Being a hophead I really enjoy the 90 Minute IPA also along with the Indian Brown.

Offline mhuss

• Expert
    • View Profile

« Reply #4 on: 08/17/2008 06:45 PM »
macster - 8/16/2008  11:31 PM
Indeed DFH is a great brewery with some tremendous beers.
Their 120 Minute IPA and their Worldwide Stout, although pricey, go great with a big, dark maduro cigar.
Being a hophead I really enjoy the 90 Minute IPA also along with the Indian Brown.

You're speaking my language.  I love just about every beer they make, including the WorldWide and the 90 Minute.  The 90 is one of my favorite beers of all time, no doubt.  By the way, I see this is your first post!  Welcome to the site, Macster!  We look forward to some more contributions in the future, including talk about DFH!

Offline macster

• Regular
    • View Profile

Cigar Reviewer - Bronze
« Reply #5 on: 08/17/2008 10:32 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome from one DFH fan to another.

CHEERS!!  :biggrin:

Offline stogie_foggie

• Elite Veteran
    • View Profile

Cigar Reviewer - Silver
« Reply #6 on: 08/18/2008 10:21 AM »
Mike --

Thanks for the heads up.  Good thing Colorado loves its microbrews, I was able to find it.  Bought  the 90 minute IPA - great beer.  The only problem is that there are so many good local beers that cost less for a 6 pack.  Still, really good for a sunny Sunday afternoon and will try the other types - especially the Raison D'Etre.
"... watch how much evil, which we call crime..."  - Ray Lewis

Offline mhuss

• Expert
    • View Profile

« Reply #7 on: 08/18/2008 11:53 AM »
stogie_foggie - 8/18/2008  12:21 PM
Thanks for the heads up.  Good thing Colorado loves its microbrews, I was able to find it.  Bought  the 90 minute IPA - great beer.  The only problem is that there are so many good local beers that cost less for a 6 pack.  Still, really good for a sunny Sunday afternoon and will try the other types - especially the Raison D'Etre.

I've had plenty of good brews from Colorado, too!  For example, I've had some beers from Breckenridge, Great Divide, Left Hand, Oskar Blues and Tommyknocker.  Colorado definitely has a lot to offer, that's for sure.  Back to DFH beers, yes, they aren't cheap.  But then again, you get what you pay for.  A few more bucks out of your wallet for DFH beers means a lot more quaility and a lot more flavor!

Offline BlackIrish

• Elite Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+81)
    • View Profile

Bomber - Bronze Cigar Places Poster - Silver Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Gold Trader - Gold Troops Supporter
« Reply #8 on: 08/18/2008 08:03 PM »
I'm a huge fan of DFH.  The 90 Min IPA is fantastic.  The 120 Min IPA tastes like a cognac -- one of the most extraordinary beers I've had!
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

Offline BlackIrish

• Elite Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+81)
    • View Profile

Bomber - Bronze Cigar Places Poster - Silver Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Gold Trader - Gold Troops Supporter
« Reply #9 on: 08/18/2008 08:05 PM »
mhuss - 8/18/2008  1:53 PM

I've had plenty of good brews from Colorado, too!  For example, I've had some beers from Breckenridge, Great Divide, Left Hand, Oskar Blues and Tommyknocker.  Colorado definitely has a lot to offer, that's for sure.  Back to DFH beers, yes, they aren't cheap.  But then again, you get what you pay for.  A few more bucks out of your wallet for DFH beers means a lot more quaility and a lot more flavor!

Oskar Blues makes some incredible beers.  Dales Pale Ale and Old Chub rock!

Stone Brewing Company is fantastic, too -- try the Arrogant Bastard.
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

Offline macster

• Regular
    • View Profile

Cigar Reviewer - Bronze
« Reply #10 on: 08/18/2008 09:55 PM »
mhuss - 8/18/2008  12:53 PM

stogie_foggie - 8/18/2008  12:21 PM

Believe it or not the Total Wine here in Jacksonville sels the bombers of Great Divide Yeti, Old Ruffian and Hercules for $4.99. They are all super beers. I rellay like their Hibernation winter brew also.

Offline stogie_foggie

• Elite Veteran
    • View Profile

Cigar Reviewer - Silver
« Reply #11 on: 08/18/2008 10:44 PM »
Yeah, we are a little spoiled here in Colorado when it comes to microbrews.  The local favorite here is Odells 90 Schilling  - great beer.  When I lived in Dallas, the closest was Shiner Bock.  Good beer, but definitely not a microbrew.  Plus, ever tried to buy booze in Dallas?  Pain in the a$$.
"... watch how much evil, which we call crime..."  - Ray Lewis

Offline podman28

• Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+10)
    • View Profile

Cigar Places Poster - Gold Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Gold
« Reply #12 on: 08/18/2008 11:41 PM »
I like Shiner. Now it is available in Chicago but before that had my brother bring some when he came. A lot of the other micros are available here but I would really suggest you try the 3 Floyds if you can get it. It is a top notch craft beer.

Offline mhuss

• Expert
    • View Profile

« Reply #13 on: 08/19/2008 07:36 AM »
podman28 - 8/19/2008  1:41 AM
I would really suggest you try the 3 Floyds if you can get it. It is a top notch craft beer.

3 Floyds definitely has some great stuff, too, especially their Dreadnaught IPA.  That is one of my favorite IPA's in all the land.  I never get to have it though, because it's not really available here in my neck of the woods.  I have in the past, though, taken a special trip to Maryland just to get it.

btw, yes, Stone has excellent beers as well.  I love the Bastard and Double Bastard, as well as the Stone IPA.

Offline Aequitas86

• Extreme Veteran
    • View Profile

Cigar Places Poster - Silver Cigar DB Posts - Bronze Cigar Reviewer - Bronze
« Reply #14 on: 08/19/2008 07:47 AM »
The microbrew to try up here in the frozen north is Summit. They make some pretty darn good beers. The only one I didn't like was their porter, but thats because I hate porters. I also enjoy leinekugals. Both brands make some good beer to go with cigars.
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.