Author Topic: Cigar and Whiskey combinations  (Read 1478 times)

Offline BlackIrish

• Elite Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+81)
    • View Profile

• Badges: (View All)
    Bomber - Bronze Cigar Places Poster - Silver Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Gold Trader - Gold Troops Supporter
RE: Cigar and Whiskey combinations
« Reply #15 on: 07/30/2008 09:45 PM »
I could go on too long on this subject.  Here's the executive summary:

1.  Port:  yes!  Tawny better than ruby, IMHO.
2.  Bourbon:  my taste in bourbon mirrors my taste in cigars, tending toward darker and heavier.  Knob Creek is a favorite, so's Jim Beam and Jim Beam Black.  Sure, I'll have lighter ones like Blanton's, and pair those with lighter cigars.  
3.  Scotch:  I prefer the single malts, and again try to match the selection with the cigar.  Macallan and other sherried malts go well when the cigar has some sweetness.  Lagavulin and other iodine-y Islays with stronger sticks, Glenlivet with a lighter ones.  Balvenie with virtually all.
4.  Cognac:  a natural pairing
5.  Rum:  what I switch to in the summer.  Mount Gay with a lighter cigar, Appletons with a medium body, a premium (Rhum Barbancourt 15 yr) with a full body.

I've never been a big fan of white liquors, though I'll admit to the occasional gin martini.  I know that many prefer martinis with their cigars, but that's not my preferred combination.  

I recently discovered the pleasures of good anejo tequila, and think they pair nicely with a milder cigar.  Beers can be trickier to pair, because the strong flavors of a good beer (a Belgian, say) can be too much for a cigar.  I like wine, too, but I think that the opposite holds true:  most wines don't stand up well to cigars, IMHO.

Despite all this, lately I prefer sparking water or coffee with my cigars, depending on the time of day.   I'm sure its just a phase.  ;)
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

Offline podman28

• Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+10)
    • View Profile

Cigar Places Poster - Gold Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Gold
« Reply #16 on: 07/31/2008 03:21 PM »
I have found that the heavier red wines can stand up to some cigars. Just yesterday I had a real nice experience with a 1999 bordeaux and a cigar. Wouldn't pair it with a maduro but with some of the lighter wrappers it can be rather pleasant.

Offline paulian3

• Veteran
  • Feedback Rating: (0)
    • View Profile

« Reply #17 on: 08/01/2008 07:59 AM »
Knob Creek all the way.  Seems to complement just about everything, actually.  

PI

Offline Turboknat

• Elite Veteran
    • View Profile

Cigar Places Poster - Silver Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Silver
« Reply #18 on: 08/01/2008 05:53 PM »
I was very interested in your inputs.  Gave me some ideas.  I have resently been introduced to a bourbon called Jefferson's Reserve.  It is made in limited batches, and sells out quick around here.  But, it is one of the smoothest tastiest bourbons I have had.  And it pairs well with a cigar.

Offline ljlemer

• Guru
  • Feedback Rating: (+14)
    • View Profile

Cigar Geeks Admin CRA Member Cigar Places Poster - Gold Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Gold
« Reply #19 on: 08/01/2008 07:49 PM »
OK. I decided to combine whiskey and a cigar. How long will it take for the cigar to dry out so I can smoke it and see if whiskey improves the flavor?
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

Offline Duker511

• Expert
    • View Profile

Cigar DB Posts - Silver Cigar Reviewer - Silver
« Reply #20 on: 08/02/2008 05:34 AM »
I think the key word here Larry is combining. Maybe just smoke a cigar and drink the whiskey from a glass. Dont accually put them together. :lmao: Although, if you dont try, youll never know.

Unrelated, I know a guy that licks his entire cigar before lighting it. He says it makes it burn better and wont crack, I think hes cracked. :dancing:
Tim