Author Topic: Cigar and Whiskey combinations  (Read 1479 times)

Offline UselesswizarD

• Feedback Rating: (0)
    • View Profile

• Badges: (View All)
Cigar and Whiskey combinations
« on: 05/09/2008 09:28 PM »
This past Cinco de mayo I was smoking an Excalibur no. 4 and a friend came in with a bottle of Jack Daniels.  Remembering what I had heard about drinks like whiskey, bourbon, and scotch going well with a cigar, I asked him to pour me a drink on the rocks.  I didn't know it but he added a splash of cranberry to it as well.  To make a short story short the combination of flavors were absolutely fantastic!  The harshness of the cigar was covered by the cranberry and whiskey and the harshness of the whiskey (which is something I've never enjoyed about whiskey) was covered by the flavors of the cigar.

Can any of you suggest some other whiskey/bourbon/scotch based drinks that go really well with a good cigar?

Offline SenorPablo

• Administrator
  • Elite Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+22)
    • View Profile

Cigar Geeks Admin CRA Member Cigar Photos Poster - Silver Cigar Places Poster - Gold Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Silver Trader - Bronze Troops Supporter
RE: Cigar and Whiskey combinations
« Reply #1 on: 05/10/2008 07:56 AM »
Have you tried a Port with a cigar?  I think it is a fantastic combination.  If you like the the Jack cut with cranberry, you might like a decent tawny Port with a cigar.  I'm not a huge liquor drinker - i usually stick to my beer and wine - but Port is a great drink with a cigar.

-Paul

Offline Turboknat

• Elite Veteran
    • View Profile

Cigar Places Poster - Silver Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Silver
« Reply #2 on: 05/10/2008 09:22 AM »
I have never considered Port before, and now I am very interested in it.  I usually like either an aged really dark rum, or brandy.  I have found Scotch to be to my liking with a cigar.  Also, a real martini made with Bombay Sapphire Gin (NOT VODKA) to go great with one.  I like dark beers with one, no preference on brands.  Seems like the robustness of a dark beer compliments the cigar to me.  

Also, you mentioned Jack Daniels, I like the Gentleman's Jack with a cigar.  When it comes to whiskey, I prefer most straight on the rocks, and I like to sip slowly and evenly through the evening while enjoying the stick.

Offline mhuss

• Expert
    • View Profile

Cigar Places Poster - Gold Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Silver
« Reply #3 on: 05/10/2008 09:33 AM »
I love enjoying my cigars with rum, actually.  One of my favorite rums is Appleton's Estate VX.  It's very smooth, delicious and compliments just about every cigar I smoke while drinking it.

Offline wunderdawg

• Veteran
    • View Profile

Cigar DB Posts - Bronze Cigar Reviewer - Bronze
« Reply #4 on: 05/10/2008 10:43 AM »
I'm a whiskey fan, usually Jack Daniels, but lately i've been drinking 40 Creek.  I never have been much on beer, unless it's really hot.  During the summer months, I enjoy Salty Dogs.
http://cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=wunderdawg

I'm a man...But I can change....If I have to...I guess.............Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving might not be for you!!

Offline bslatner

• Veteran
    • View Profile

Cigar DB Posts - Bronze Cigar Reviewer - Bronze
« Reply #5 on: 05/10/2008 11:13 AM »
Scotch is my beverage of choice for cigar-smoking. Esepcially if you get a rich, leathery smoke.

Dewars is my day-to-day scotch and I have a bottle of Macallan 15-year and Lagavulin 16-year for special smokes.

Offline UselesswizarD

• View Profile

« Reply #6 on: 05/10/2008 08:11 PM »
Well, these are some great drinks.  I'm going to have to try some of them next time I have my hands on a really nice cigar.

Offline ljlemer

• Guru
  • Feedback Rating: (+14)
    • View Profile

Cigar Geeks Admin CRA Member Cigar Places Poster - Gold Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Gold
« Reply #7 on: 05/10/2008 08:23 PM »
Wouldn't a Cigar and Whiskey combination make the cigar either too wet to light or too flammable to risk lighting, depending on the proof?  :confused:  
Just asking.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

Offline UselesswizarD

• View Profile

« Reply #8 on: 05/10/2008 08:47 PM »
Didn't Churchhill dip all of his stogies in cognac?  If he was able to light them up while dripping wet than by gosh I can too.  Although you might be right about the proof.  If I still have eyebrows after I try it we'll have our answer.  :biggrin:

Offline junglepete

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Feedback Rating: (+57)
    • View Profile

Cigar Geeks Admin CRA Member Bomber - Bronze Cigar Photos Poster - Bronze Cigar Places Poster - Silver Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Gold Trader - Gold Troops Supporter
« Reply #9 on: 05/11/2008 10:24 AM »
I like different combinations. I usually bend towards lighter drinks with milder cigars like red and white wines and an occasional beer. If I know the cigar will be a bit bitter by nature I like drinks that are a bit bitter as well like Campari and Soda and Gin & Tonic). I like Cognac with medium to full cigars. I've never tried the Port idea...I'm going to now that I've been tweaked about it. This afternoon I'm going to try a Mandarine Napoleon with a toro size smoke of a yet to be determined brand.

I think the best part of smoking cigars is experimenting with different combinations.  :shades:
Guru of Frugality

Offline Bob Cordell

• Elite Guru
  • Feedback Rating: (+25)
    • View Profile

Cigar Reviewer - Gold Trader - Bronze
« Reply #10 on: 05/11/2008 03:51 PM »
Jack Daniels? Shoooooo, hell!

They make that s**t right down the road from here and we dont even drink it!

I hate charcoal mellowing in a bourbon...Yuk!
" Rabbit vibrators have gotten an overhaul since their own inception"

Offline Christopher62

• Veteran
    • View Profile

« Reply #11 on: 05/12/2008 10:33 AM »
Mostly I'm a beer drinker. Bud Light. I like my beers cheap and watery because I like to drink a lot of 'em. But my fall-back drink when I smoke a stick is Jim Beam, straight, on the rocks. A nice sippin' whiskey for a gentleman like me.
~Christopher

Offline Ray240

• Regular
    • View Profile

Cigar Reviewer - Bronze
« Reply #12 on: 05/12/2008 10:41 PM »
bslatner - 5/10/2008  1:13 PM

Scotch is my beverage of choice for cigar-smoking. Esepcially if you get a rich, leathery smoke.

I have to agree with bslatner here, scotch is the way to go for me also.
Johnnie Walker Red and Black labels are my everyday blends, i have a small bottle of the Gold and Blue Labels from a sampler i got as a gift that i'm saving for special occasions. I have recently started getting into Single Malts also, I have a bottle of Johnnie Walker Green Label and a bottle of Glenlivet 12 Year. I prefer to drink the blended Scotch Whiskeys with a milder cigar and the Single Malts with a fuller bodied cigar. Dalmore also makes a "Cigar Malt" that is actually blended to go with "your favorite premium cigar", this is another great scotch and is suprisingly well priced.

Whiskey also pairs pretty well with cigars but i can't stand Jack Daniels. I ususally go with Crown Royal Reserve because it's nice and smooth.

Offline stogie_foggie

• Elite Veteran
    • View Profile

Cigar Reviewer - Silver
« Reply #13 on: 05/12/2008 11:41 PM »
I have family who live in TN and they would never drink Jack Daniels.  Seems like Bob and my family are in agreement.

Never could get into scotch, I like Makers Mark or maybe Knob Creek bourbon and ny friend likes Rye (another acquired taste).

"... watch how much evil, which we call crime..."  - Ray Lewis

Offline podman28

• Expert
  • Feedback Rating: (+10)
    • View Profile

Cigar Places Poster - Gold Cigar DB Posts - Gold Cigar Reviewer - Gold
« Reply #14 on: 07/30/2008 08:18 PM »
I enjoy many different combinations with cigars. A lot depends on the type of cigar I am smoking at the time. Lately though, I have been drinking wonderful aged rums. My current favorite is Zaya 12 year old. Very, very nice with the darker cigars.